After another heavy dented weekend which saw me waking up and regretting why I so willingly ingested what i did
and going by the words most have thought and said out loud “am never drinking again( grin face, blood shot eyes, horrible breathe, even after sleeping until or past midday its just seems never enough).
Hence the title of the blog, I am willing to take you through some of the drinking hierarchy of my liquid ingesting experiences.
Way back to primary rather like from class 3 onwards…when using the pen in order to hurnace our handwriting for future composition & insha writing which also tripled up to mail writing. All of us including me had almost daily ingestion of the wino, quill or quik ink. (remember I said liquids not just alcohol).
I seriously think that the bad taste was training most of us to future drunkard ness. Swallowing the colored stuff while siphoning incase your quink (most expensive of the three, undiluted smelling thick was a sign of prestige). To score point off the lovely ladies I always fixed their pens, changing up the nib be it hero pen or just the normal one. I had a set full of spare parts I kid you not but you can imagine the color of my hands & mouth. Maybe that’s the reason I never got kisses back then.
Enough of my colorful ordeal, I moved up to castle before the beverage company in Kenya got closed down. It was almost tasteless and having swiped a bottle of Guinness from a family party, the foul taste fenced me off from ever wanting it to pass my tongue & so the satle castle was my choice (note standard 8 at the time).
Then came the age of F2 jam Session, yes I was there and we even had our usually corner, my secondary mates and I. underage dictated the club not to sell alcohol since it jammed on Sundays and most of the clientele after paying a small entrance fee would go dancing all day, I repeat all day until 7. but teenage minds, rebels and misfits found a way around that and a place namely Thembegua just sound the corner sold some hard liquor.
Napoleon to be more specific, fake ones that were bloody painful to guzzle yet most of use did it provision of free water. The place was like a dingy den with drunkards seated on crates of soda (the irony) foul smelling, form sweaty odour to the spirit in the air (note this was like 12pm in the day- mututho fucked things up for people). The tastiest drink was and iceberg that’s if you dint mix the ‘napoleon’ with water. Iceberg was burned later on for some standard KRA related
Issues but the drink was more of blackice,iceberg rather I think they were both borne from the iceberg ingenious.
As we matured we got wind of dens that sold things that were more or less beer just way cheaper. The name tusker Keg which was sold also sold in places like Tacos (it was minus a Gay crowd or maybe people hadn’t come out). Get this in the shady places, there was senator and guys drunk it with a straw……how now am even shaking my head in amazement, the human body can take a lot.
Clearly if you follow it seems like a rite of passage with all the steps, the Keg stage was easing us to beering up… which I chose pilsner, valid reason, I had a notion from reading the ingredients that it was much more healthier than all the others, then after tasting black ice which had an appealing sweet taste I drunk it for a bit (until it was labeled really unmanly, talk about falling victim to social pressures.)
After entering a social set up which entails getting smashed (rugby) I got reintroduced to hard liquor from Furaha Brandy to Kibao vodka(cheapest hard liquor on the shelf of supermarkets to date) main point to get drunk.
Moved up though, the drinking experience shouldn’t be bitter, pain staking were you take something and close your eyes as it goes down burning your organs to a crisp……
After getting introduced to Jameson, first time I ordered it came I a bandy glass, thinking it was a wine glass almost laughed at the bar tender (yet I think he laughed at me) then watching p-unit video I thought one of the member was adding ice to wine since the brandy glass from an ignorant person would look like a wine glass.
I had an opportunity to be schooled by my classier friends not before a laugh but thank you Yvonne and those who didn’t know, now you do. A classier drink from what is now my favorite and smooth to the taste, Jameson on the rocks but at fine establishments they would give a choice and as with tonic…don’t look dumb as a door knob, it’s just a chaser.
It has become more interesting to go to places that are less crowded, teenage infested who are out to dance the whole night but rather enjoy your drink in comfort and relaxation. Lounges such as one I recently grazed, Sherehe, is a good example. Krfuea against my better nature is also a really good nice establishment ran by Rafikiz. Had my 1st jager bomb and I think I could just switch drinks because it was so tasty, a must try.
Some of the expensive drinks that I have had an opportunity to take, ranging from scarcity and price range – Stroh 80% import form Australia, Famous Grouse Malt (emphasis on the Malt) my uncle almost chewed my head off for almost mixing with soda, Southern Comfort was nice, the Walker family, Nb.Glenfiddich usually varies with the year its been left to mature, ranges from 12, 15, 18, 21 which also relate to price and rareness.
Worst cheapest drinks and no fiction, black label kienyji gold (locally made), kasese (it changaa from Uganda).
Lesson learnt though, expensive cheap alcohol effects are the same the day after for everyone……..even if you don’t get a hangover like myself not bragging, the lousy feeling in the morning hunger after a drinkathon especially gives someone a pathetic look.
If you absolutely have to though drinks such as vuvuzela, sun brew, yokozuna that would render you blind senses less aren’t The way forward to personal family or the countrys a whole so strive to style up……you are what you drink blogsphere. Yolo (you only live once) enjoy. Usilewe ukawa mlevi ndindindi-Yunasi







Bana the human body can take alot
ReplyDelete