Thursday, 6 October 2011

Classical


Week leading to the Classical fusion weekend( hence title of today’s blog)which had been populated by the confirmation hearing at the Hague on normal transmission on T.V. which by the way to me is a hostile takeover especially for those of us who don’t have privilege of a whatever decoder, there is a variety this days. At least they should have the decency to bring some interesting law like the one in states or rather what we see on T.V, example of good lawyering up like ‘Boston legal’ or my new found lawyer season ‘SUITS’. Awesome!!! (Shirking voice)
Best thing about it, they have some amazing referencing to some classical movies that I really need to burst open my archive and watch, e.g. Casablanca. 
When was the last time you heard of such a word.
Anyway enough of digressing, the band which was to play for classical fusion have a long word that I will not write yet because it took me a whole day to cram. Am not slow but I will tell you the reason why just bear with me. The organizers had some high profile concerts in coast and Arboretum which were too pricey for me. During the week, that was the advert that got my ear apart from the Carbo snoop, Eve and Shaggy concert which I was definitely not going.
Am not a much of a concert fan, the crowd, getting stepped on, squinting to get a glimpse of someone who won’t see me, people shouting in your ear, others singing the chorus with all their lung power, (from the above it is clear I am not a front of the crowd person) and most importantly I just dint have the Mulla. On that note Camp Mulla are just rocking my ear drums, all give credit where its due.
Back to point, I avoided all that and instead my Saturday saw me heading to Skylux and bid a friend of mine farewell Nelz Zlen (I will miss you). Westland’s is just not the same thing any time before 11 o’clock. The place was so empty I don’t think even if I would be high anything would have change. I would have probably slept on the white couches imagining am home.
I head home and Sunday morning I am up by 8:00. I get the best idea, classical fusion concert at impala grounds. I turn the radio on, its Afro fusion on Homeboyz radio, and a definite sign that the concert idea is amazing. I phone my friend Robin PiK(true story and he introduced me to Robin Thicke’s music) convince him we should head there because this coming weekend it’s his birthday.
Happy birthday bro in advance, so pre birthdays bash. He agrees. So far things falling into place.
 Remember, cricket in the pocket but I had heard that there were sold out student going cheap. I convince myself there has to be more so I would just have to get there early. Booming on the Afro fusion show, I burst out my linen pants, I mean where else would I get the opportunity to wear them and not look like a show off.
Several hours later, I have wine in hand and several confirmed friends with more wine a cake. (Smiling on realization how things fell to place).
I get at the entrance; there is a small line for students paying a reasonable entrance fee. I get rid of my crickets in the pocket and just leave darkness.
When I get inside, I don’t have a way to describe in words but people were elegantly dress, sun dress, and stunners. Whoa!! So beautiful. Umbrella’s were the prescribed accessories.
People came so prepared with vikapu of food and drinks. The sun was blazing hot though so when we laid down our leso and sat, I immediately started sweating. Then I had an epiphany. Why sit, so many lovely ladies to look at and I will probably not have a chance to ogle any time soon.
Poured myself a glace and went roaming. No regrets it was such a beautiful scene. The musical ambiance made it even greater.
Big screens on the side helped those visually impaired and those like me who don’t like struggling to look at the stage much easier. (Notice I am eliminating the demerits of concerts that I had mentioned earlier)
The band that took me forever to cram their name (thanks to some hot wine, am not making this up it was a hot day).
Ladysmith Black Mambazo (that’s one word like a pimp named slik back) - it can’t be helped it was my first time I heard of them and probably majority of the people there too. Meaning there was minimum chorus singing people. But they had some serious dancing co-ordination.
Jazzinfolk left a lasting impression for, am even thinking of getting some guitar lessons. Amazing talent was show cased at the concert. 
Then our very own ‘Sauti Soul’ took to the stage and electrified the audience including me. ‘Coming Home’ being their first performance and as the wind down with dancing to the song ‘Blue Uniform’( certainly hope am getting it right because wine, red label and some Jack were running in my system thanks to Wangai).
The whole time though I was a true fun singing to most of the words if not all. Epic moment was when Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Sauti Soul did a combination.
Note this whole time I wasn’t stepped or trampled on but bizarre, we had a lot of cake for a pre birthday. Kamau who organized for the cake, in the photo’s it like he was just waiting to eat the whole time. He has some glassy hungry eyes which I can’t put my two sense to figure out.(Only guy in the photo)
Down side, pollution with guys littering plastic cups and bags was a scary part for me, not entirely peoples faults because there were no bins. Then people in school uniform esp. the red black and blue shorts, eye sore. But with over 12,000 people, there was variety to look at I assure you.
Jesus feed 10,000 people, I couldn’t grip the multitude of people by imagination, and then I just stood somewhere and glanced at the crowd, it was truly a miracle, the concert included. It was such an extensive crowd that you would be sitting next to a ‘celebrity’ (include air quotes insisted) and look just as glamorous.
None the less, food, drinks, friends, CAKE, Ladysmith Black Mambazo (can’t get enough of the name esp. after getting it right) and Sauti Soul. It was such a beautiful day. 
Scodosh.......bloggerz.

3 comments:

  1. u can now leave a comment as easily as having a read. cheers guyz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ladysmith mambazo. Thats easy swity. C'mon. Mbna unaniangusha. Bt i lav dat blog. Wil always b ua no 1

    ReplyDelete